The next house is located in Gandhi Bazaar, Basavanagudi. This house was built in 1939 by Sethu Madhav Rao who hails from Thanjavur. Madhav Rao passed away in the year 1979 and his son, having settled in Bombay decided to sell the house.
The house was sold to the current owners who were tenants in the same house since 1972. The house was purchased jointly by the current owner and his son-in-law. In 1984, they partitioned the house into two. A major alteration to the house was the merging of the Pooja room and storeroom to form the current kitchen in 1984 and the addition of a bathroom.
The house initially had a verandah, which was converted into a covered porch. Other minor alterations have been carried out from time to time, like the toilets were converted to a western style from the Indian style. The current owners are not planning on undertaking any other renovations as they are unsure of the structural strength of the house.
This house predates the other two houses and shows the influence of the colonial bungalow style of architecture. The 19C Bungalow as conceptualised by the British soon became the aspirational style for most Indian city dwellers of the late 19 / 20 C. However rather than adopt the British / European model in-toto Indians adapted it to suit their own culture and lifestyle resulting in an off-shoot that expressed the ‘Indian-ness’ of its owners / dwellers. This house is a scaled down version of this off-shoot style likely in keeping with the owner’s budget and lifestyle.
Much thanks to Krupa Rajangam, Conservation Architect and cofounder of Saythu, for her inputs to this article.
In celebration of World Heritage Day, an architectural walk was conducted by INTACH through the Fraser Town, Cooke Town and Richards Town areas. A group of 10-15 people of different professions and of various walks