Agenda: To understand and learn the concepts and principles of how traffic flows in Bengaluru.
Two urban transport experts gave a detailed presentation on how transportation works in Indian cities and why mass transit is failing in India.
Speakers: Roshan Toshnival, Rajiv Malagi from WRI, India.
He spoke on the subject “Transportation and mobility.” He gave a brief idea about how concepts like transportation volume, motorised trip, passenger car unit etc are calculated. This was to make a layman understand the complexities of planning urban transport.
In his presentation on “Why mass transit is failing in India,” Rajiv listed out the reasons for failure of mass transit such as lack of first and last mile connectivity, obstruction in footpaths, poor street planning, lack of safety design etc.
After the presentation, the participants came up with a list of questions related to public transport in Bengaluru.
Decision: It was decided to make a comprehensive list of questions (everything about transportation and traffic planning in the city) and find answer to each of those questions.
The List of Questions for the FAQ
- How to understand the carrying capacity of public and private transport on a road, and the changing pattern of people shifting from private transport to public transport? How do transport planners do it?
- What is the standard for public transportation design? Is there a system of auditing and issuing certificates for the completion of road infrastructure projects?
- Has there been a study on alternative methods of road development?
- How does urban planning takes place in cities around the world? Do cities have Urban Planning division that coordinate different urban infrastructure authorities?
- Given that most of the urban infrastructure planning ideas come from the developed world, how many such ideas are original to India or tropical condition? Isn’t there a need for tropicalisation of these ideas?
- Are there success stories of user behaviour change in India or any other developing countries in context to following road discipline?
- How various aspects like road width, drainage, road discipline, pedestrian crossing etc could be integrated into road designing?
- What is the standard definition for a good road?
- How should vehicles be designed in Indian cities considering road maintenance?
- Are there examples to prove that road width brings change in road traffic flow, i.e wider the road, lesser the traffic jam (width v/s bottleneck)?
- What is and what should be the standard ratio of road v/s footpath in Indian cities?
- How is and how should be the parking fee calculated (by considering the value of space)?
- How is using a cab/taxi (one person traveling in taxi) better than using a private/own car, from road space utilisation perspective?
- Compare the process of road works tender in Bengaluru with global standards.
- How has TenderSURE changed city transportation pattern from a user point of view?
- What is a modal share and how is it calculated?
- What are typical sustainable modal shares in the world today that can be goals for any country to go towards?
- Importance of traffic signal placement for visibility. How many signals per direction gives the correct coverage?
- How do you ensure public transport is safe for women at odd hours?
- How do you plan to address transportation woes in commuter towns like Devanahalli and Tumkur? How would you integrate with Commuter Rail/ High Speed Regional rail?